Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Winter Squash A-Z: Spaghetti Squash Gratin



So I have to admit once again that I had never eaten spaghetti squash until today.  And now I know what I was missing!  If you haven't had it before run (don't walk) to your local grocer and then try this recipe.  I can't get over how little you need to make this gratin and yet it is so yummy!  First, I think if you have a picky eater in the family this is the squash to try because it has a much more subtle flavor than any squash I have ever tried.  And I can't get over how cool the squash "transforms" to a spaghetti like consistency.  It amazed me because it was so difficult to cut in half before baking but, after scooping the flesh out it came apart into a consistency somewhere between linguine and sauerkraut.  I don't know that I could really describe the flavor but, it is subtle .....and really good.  Also, this gratin is amazingly simple to make with very few ingredients.  I'm thinking it is going to be my new favorite squash recipe....perfect as a side with your dinner at home or, to take to a potluck!  When you follow the link over to the recipe you will be on a blog that is a new favorite of mine as well.  So far I've only made two of her recipes but, I love how she combines comfort foods with healthy cooking.  Next I want to try some of her ethnic recipes.  But, just click on the link below to hop on over to Daily Unadventures in Cooking and just peruse the variety of interesting recipes.

http://www.dailyunadventuresincooking.com/recipe/spaghetti-squash-gratin-recipe/


If you like a sweet snack that is also easy to make try the Peanut Butter and Jelly Bars.   I think I am becoming a big fan of bars over cookies because I can whip it together and get it in the oven.  For me, baking batches of cookies and watching a two year old just don't mix.  So, I have made these twice over the last few weeks and they are nice for a snack any time of day.  Being pregnant I also like that they satisfy my sweet tooth and my appetite at the same time. They're also tastier if you sing Peanut Butter Jelly Time in your head while eating them. Try it!

http://www.dailyunadventuresincooking.com/2010/02/peanut-butter-and-jelly-bars-recipe.html/


No comments:

Post a Comment