Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Strawberry Covered Chocolate Fudge Pie!



Where to begin?  First off this pie is so chocolatey!!  And the combination with the fresh strawberries reminds me of chocolate covered strawberries.  The base is an amazing recipe I found on Chocolate-Covered Katie's blog.  A few weeks ago I made it for my girlfriends and it was so rich and chocolaty I knew I would be making it again.  Today I made this slightly different version and DrOgg exclaimed, "This is the best thing I've ever tasted!"  And those of you who know him know he's not one to gush so that's quite a compliment.  Of course, you say, "Chocolaty goodness combined with fresh strawberries is a no-brainer so what's the big deal?"  First off, Chocolate-Covered Katie's recipes are all shockingly healthy and low in sugar...I remember shocking my gal pals by telling them one of the main ingredients in this pie is tofu!  Also, inspired by Katie's creativity I decided to attempt a healthy, low sugar glaze for the strawberries and couldn't be happier with the results.  I just think it goes to show that you don't need a lot of sugar to dress up fruit which is so naturally delicious as it is.

If you're going to try this recipe (and I really hope you do) the first step is to make the strawberry topping.  This recipe is enough to glaze about 8-10 cups of fruit and you will need about four to five cups of strawberries for each pie.  I removed the tops then cut the smaller strawberries into halves and the really big ones I quartered but, I'm sure there's more than one way to cut a strawberry!



Healthier Strawberry Fruit Glaze


1/2 cup water
1 cup Strawberries
1 1/2 tbsp corn starch
1-2 tbsp sugar or sweetener of your choice
1/2 tsp vanilla
2-3 drops of red food coloring (optional)


Combine first four ingredients in a food processor or blender until smooth and corn starch has disappeared completely.  Transfer to a small sauce pan and heat until boiling.  Lower temperature but, keep at a simmer and stir constantly until thickened (10-15 minutes).  It will still seem a little soupy but, will thicken significantly after it cools.  Remove from heat allow to cool 10-15 minutes before coating fruit.  While you are waiting cut your fruit up then mix with glaze until coated evenly.  Ideally chill for 20 minutes or more before serving.

Once you have your strawberries chilling in the fridge you can start on the fudge pie!  So, hop on over to Chocolate-Covered Katie's blog and follow the recipe for her Chocolate Fudge Pie.  Now, try to stay focused because if you're like me once you get on there you will be tempted to go and look at all the other amazing recipes.  Ok, go ahead....I can't help it either but, promise you'll come back and don't forget about me. Katie says you can use either firm or silken tofu for this recipe but, I have tried it both ways and the silken has a much more appealing texture.  She also suggests if you have one you can use a spring form pan for this recipe.  Unfortunately I don't so, I'm going to tell you how I did mine.  First, I made it as instructed and it was super quick and EASY!  I placed the filling in graham cracker crust which was yummy but, you could probably go with chocolate or even a plain crust just as easily.  The recipe is the perfect amount for one chocolate fudge pie or TWO strawberry chocolate fudge pies.  I actually found the fudge pie by itself a tad rich so, maybe that's why I like my version so much.

Instead of making one pie separate your filling into two crusts.  Cover each pie with half of the glazed strawberries.  Now if you like you may garnish with tiny chocolate chips like I did or chocolate sprinkles or shaved chocolate...whatever floats your boat.  It will taste just as good without but, I just liked the way it looked.  Now, this pie is best after chilling for several hours but, when it's ready I hope you enjoy every guilt-free bite!


Update:  This week I lucked out and found a set of springform pans on clearance for just $2.  This is something I've been wanting to invest in for awhile and I'm so glad I did.  Though I got lucky, I think these would totally be worth it for full price.  I just made the recipe again in the spring form pan and not only does it look way fancier but, I decided it is so much better with a homemade crust!

No comments:

Post a Comment