Thursday, December 1, 2011

Winter Squash A-Z: Garlicky Baked Buttercup Squash



Wow!  It sure has been for-ev-ah  since I started this "series"  so if you were anxiously awaiting another installment it is finally here.  I will say part of the problem was being busy but, also these squashes are not as easy to find as you would think.  Finding recipes for less common squash is not impossible but, buying some of them in your area might be next to impossible.  I actually found this super yummy sounding soup recipe and an amazing cooking blog in the process.  It calls for Banana squash which is supposedly available at grocery stores but, I tried all the stores in Erie and even checked local stands and of course went grocery shopping on black Friday when we were in Columbus, OH....so I DID try.  But, if by some luck you have grown some of this giant yellow squash or know someone who has check this recipe out!  Apparently it is pretty much interchangeable with butternut squash as for flavor but, has a softer, smoother texture.  http://changeabletable.blogspot.com/2009/11/smooth-as-silk-banana-squash-soup-every.html  Haven't tried it yet but, will report back when I do. 
Since I couldn't find the Banana squash I finally went to the next available which I found here locally at more than one store.  It is Buttercup and it is kind of a black squash that to me tastes a heck of a lot like acorn squash.  I actually had trouble finding a recipe specifically for it and needed a side one night so I made a recipe for butternut squash and found a staple that I LOVE and will be sure to make over and over again.  http://allrecipes.com/recipe/garlicky-baked-butternut-squash/  This recipe was so flavorful and delicious and really so ridiculously easy!  The only recommendation I would have is to cut the salt in half or just sprinkle the salt to taste rather than mixing in it like the recipe calls for.  It was too salty for  my taste so you might be the same and I'm thinking it's easier to add more later than to take it off.  If you try any of these recipes I would love to hear about it!  Please comment and let me know what you think.  Also, I am doing butternut next...trying to hurry up and get to pumpkin because I am planning to bake a yummy desert that you won't want to miss!

1 comment:

  1. Great Post Mrs. Ogg.....might try some for Christmas! NeeCee at pinecreekstyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete